One Resolution

** I started writing this post a few days ago, and then yesterday ran across a similar sentiment on one of my favourite blogs. I debated whether or not I should post mine, but decided that since it's great and useful information, the more that's out there, the better. Any similarities you encounter are complete and utter coincidence as this post was independently written by myself about my own experiences.***

Just before Christmas, I came across my 2012 New Years resolutions. Although I've been on and off the "I don't make resolutions because you're only setting yourself up to fail" train, the last few years, I decided to drink the koolaide and go full on resolution mode. Last year was the first year I really followed through to a point where I can say I am content with the changes I made.

It is in part a result of increased motivation, but also can be attributed to the types of goals I set. In the past, a resolution may have read "Workout 5 times per week" whereas last year it read: "Do more: be more active". It was this little change in verbage that helped propel me to making some changes. If I didn't have time for a full five workouts a week, oh well. Maybe I'd walk to the ten minutes to the market instead of drive on a rainy day. Maybe I'd run around and dance a little more while cleaning and cooking.

I also let go of a lifelong belief that in order to exercise you need to take a couple hours out of your day, drive to a gym, and kill yourself to the point where you never want to go back. But you're supposed to go back, but you don't want to, so you don't. So I didn't.

 I ditched the gym memberships, and the "must workout for at least one hour" mentality, and found something that worked for me. I started running. I started small. Just a few kilometers that would take me just over 20 minutes. I was slow, but I ran. When I discovered the Nike running app, I started to get competitive with myself, and wanted to beat my time. Then, I wanted to run further. After a while, I committed myself to 6K runs. I have a great 6K route that I'm comfortable with, and I know it takes me around 34 minutes. Who doesn't have 34 minutes? But then there were times I wanted to run further, longer. And so I would run 10K. But I never beat myself up if I only ran 6K. Or, if on occasion, I only ran 3K. The point was that I was out there. I was doing it.

I had many other resolutions that I followed through with as well. And, upon examining each resolution  and the effects they had on me, there was one resounding theme.


There were no cut and dry goals that I had to "meet" in order to check them off my list. As long as I made tiny improvements, there was no "failing". Every single resolution was a way to live my already great life, just a little bit better. And that's all we can really hope for, right?

This year, I am setting that one resolution, to live better, and I'm bullet pointing it. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother writing anything past those two words optimally, but I do like to have a reminder of what I want to acheive, so bullet points it is. These bullet points will evolve over the year. Some will go, some new ones will come.

You will also see there is no"try". I used to put "try to eat healthy" in my resolutions. No more. There is no try, only do. Thanks Yoda. But really, don't give yourself a way out. You ARE going to live better this year, and every year following.


LIVE BETTER
  • More home cooked meals. From scratch. Less packaged foods. 
  • Less coffee. More tea. 
  • Less salt. Less sugar. More herbs and spices.
  • More fruits and veggies.
  • Continue to make consitent excercise a part of life.
  • Be kind. Everyday. Go out of your way to be kind.
  • Donate your time. There are people out there who need it.
  • More books. Less TV. Less blogs.
  • More hubby time. Less computer time.
  • More face to face friend time. Less facebook.
  • More real. Less tech.
  • More scheduled. Less random.
  • More organic. More nutrients. 
There are more, but you get the gist.  Everything is just in an effort to live my life the way I see as ideal. And so far, it works.



I hope that whatever 2013 holds for you, that it is better than last year. That you may hold your resolutions, should you choose to make them, near and dear to your heart.

To a very merry and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!

xox J

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I'm so glad you did... I'm going to bookmark it to read over and over and over again! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Dawn! I'm glad it can be useful to you! Wish I had read something similar ten years ago. Would have saved me a lot of frustrations over breaking new years resolutions! Thanks for reading, and happy happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I like it! It basically encompasses the things I would want in a resolution, without giving myself a mammoth list to memorize. Thanks for posting this :) Best wishes in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your approach to the new year. Also love the distinction between trying to do something and just doing it. Why say it at all if you're not actually serious about doing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I want to achieve my goals, not fail at them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts