A little Love for Louis

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have gotten a sneak peak at today's post, which is brought to you by my dear friend Louis.


Louis and I have a long lasting love affair, and I feel this one may stand the test of time. If I could choose one chair, just one chair to have for eternity, it would be Louis.



The oval back is such a timeless silhouette (clearly since it's been around for centuries) and I absolutely love how versatile it can be. Glossy and modern, demure and traditional. Louis has got it going on.


I have always known that one day, Louis and a few other of his friends Louis, would come to stay with us, and hopefully to stay for a while. I figured that day might come when we have a house, and a proper place to really put them up. A dining room of their very own to call home!


Well, Christmas came early this year, and Louis made a shocking early arrival!

If you've heard of me talk about my obsession with designer warehouse sales, you'll already know the beginning of this story...

At my very first warehouse sale, which turned out to be the mecca of them all, I bought a TON of stuff. My mom did also. And like me, sometimes my mom buys things she doesn't quite know what to do with. We are a family of impulse buyers, what can I say?


My mom scooped up a set of 6 Louis chairs at said warehouse sale. Why didn't I jump on them? Firstly, not my colour , at all. The wood is finished in a deep mocha/espresso stain, and the upholstery is camel. Might work in someone's home, but not mine.

That wouldn't have been enough to deter me though. The main reason I didn't take them home with me right then and there was that I was out of money. I brought a big wad of cash with me that day, and vowed to only spend what I had. And I did. I spent it all.



My mom and I disagree on what they cost. I remember them being $50 a chair, so $300 for the set. She reemembers $75 a chair, so $450 for the set (the day was such a whirlwind and we both spend so much money that it is completely understandable that neither of us remember how much they actually cost. Well, actually I remember...my mom just forgot). Either way, a MASSIVE deal compared to what these babies would cost retail. HUGE HUGE steal!

I couldn't justify it though, and even after my mom and dad decided they did not want them, and even after they sat in their garage for nearly a year, I couldn't justify the $300 because I knew I'd have to probably throw another $50 at each chair to make them look pretty for me (and that would be upholstering them myself, add another $100-$200 a chair for a professional job).

To make a long story short, we were at my parents for dinner the other night talking about these forsaken chairs that were still in their garage that my mom had yet to successfully sell on craigslist. And then it happened....

She said..." Well, would you like them? I'll just give them to you."

To which I responded " HECK YESSSSSSSSSSS."


I started to shake.

Ideas started running through my head.

I had always wanted the chairs, the only barrier was the cost. The cost of something that desperately needed a makeover and would cost even more.

But now that they were F-R-E-E, and oh, the possibilities were endless!


There are so many routes to take my friends Louis I, Louis II, Louis III, Louis IV, Louis V and Louis VI on, but I think I might have to go the safe route. I tire of pattern and colours really quickly, so I think I might just be going all white.



What do you think? What would you do with 6 Louis chairs?


I have already hatched a little plan for the upholstery to be revealed later, but what I'm really stumped on is the wood. Do I go straight white (maybe even with a gloss), or do I try out Annie Sloan's chalk paint for a more weathered look?

Let me know your thoughts! I need help! :)

xo J





Comments

  1. Could be a good opportunity to try out Annie Sloan. I've been wanting to give it a shot too on one of the dozen furniture pieces in my garage waiting for attention! Might try the homemade version first, have you seen it? Regular paint mixed with plaster of paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! The nice thing about paint is that it can always come off or be painted over, so might as well give it a try!

      Delete
  2. You lucky duck!! I love the look of the chairs done with a contrasting fabric on the back....you could do them fairly plain on the front then a punch of color on the back panel! I would do the Annie Sloan. Your house is so sleek and modern that a little rustic would be a good mix. Cant wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think I'm going to try the chalk paint, now just to choose a colour! I do love the CHaing Mai fabric that Honey & FItz used on hers. So beautiful!

      Delete
  3. I love the vintage (chalk). It has a sense of history to it and the off white fabric looks clean. It says come sit awhile and I will tell you all that I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and I'm so delighted to know I'm not the only one who falls deeply in love with chairs. ;) Can't wait to see what you've chosen to do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts