Look What I found at the Dolla Store | Part One

I seriously questioned whether or not I should do this post. I mean, I don't want people thinking I'm a bag lady who only shops at the dollar store! I don't really mind what everyone thinks of me out there in bloggyland, but when I find out that people I know are dropping by to read my poorly composed dollar-store-centric posts, well, then I care a bit. Full disclaimer here: I am not a dollar store diva. I like to buy my pantry jars and other organizational items at the dollar store, but I do not and would not ever buy grocery items or clothes, or gifts for people at the dollar store. There's a time and a place people, and Dollorama aint the place!


That being said, I was surprised by all the pretty awesome things at the dollar store during my last visit. Sometimes, that same thing you'll buy at the mall, or on ebay, can be found at your dollar store for a fraction of the price. Everything is made in China by the same factories, right? Time we get our heads out of the sand. I recently bought an iPhone car charger there, and guess what? It works!

So while I was there picking up, yes, some more jars, I gave myself a little challenge. Why not see what awesome and cool things I could find at the dollar store that I wouldn't normally buy. And why not share them with you? I was shocked by the number of people who saw my pantry post and let me know that they rarely step foot in the dollar store. Well, people, you don't know what you're missing! And well, now you will know because I will show you.

So here it is, the first part to my series Look What I Found at the Dolla Store.

Again, I have never ever bought accessories at the dollar store, but this was a challenge so I had to, right?



This aqua scarf is actually my favourite thing I found. The colour is delicious in real life and I love the metallic sparkle in it. It isn't that long, but I've been thinking of sewing it end to end to make a spring infinity scarf. As is the case with most items I buy, wash it first to get rid of any heebeejeebees. Oh, and the scarf was only $1.50. Yesiree.



These gold bangles and cuffs I found amongst loads of other pretty hideous jewelry. Great for little girls I'm sure, but beyond that, yuck. I decided to give a little dig, and this is what I came up with. I don't wear a lot of gold jewelry. Don't get me wrong, I lurve the look of gold jewelry, especially in the spring/summer accented with pops of colour, or even just plain white. I just haven't made the transition yet. I haven't committed myself to it to splurge and spend a pretty penny on enough gold accessories to make it worth my while. Spending $4 to test out the golden look to see if it's somewhere I want to go? Done. I love that the set of bangles included a black and white twine bangle as well. Really helps break it up. The cuff is fantastic as well. I'm already thinking of a DIY I can do with it. Ribbon? Gimp? Rope? Not sure yet, but Pinterest will lead the way.

And despite my reservations, I can actually see myself wearing these now. At first, I was a bit "Ewww it's from the DOLLAR STORE, gasp!" but after much self talk, I realized the cheap costume jewelry I buy for fun at accessory stores in the mall, well, they do come from the same place. Don't fool yourself.  They do. Will this replace quality statement pieces in my jewelry box? Heck no! But hopefully will help beef up my arm party a bit! Call them "fillers" if you like.

My next vignette centered around this $2 frame. It's white. It's plastic. It has some nice modern lines to it. And if you don' t want to use it as a frame, throw some craft paper or a piece of fabric in there to make an adorbs little tray.


Perfect for accessories, throw it in your closet for some cheap and easy decor. Annnnd (I'm dying a little bit in side as I type this) I accessorized with some (gasp!) faux flowers. Eeeeek! I know it's spring. I know fresh flowers are incomparable. You're preaching to the choir right now. I get it. As a wedding planner I hammered the importance of real flowers into every bride's noggin. BUT, and I really mean BUT, sometimes they are ok. Example: you buy fresh flowers, you put them throughout your main floor, maybe a small bunch in your room, but mostly throughout your main living spaces. Now your guest room could use a pop of colour. Or maybe your closet. But you're not going to spend $ on fresh flowers that will be gone in a week for a room that barely gets used or seen, are you? Probs not. I don't, anyways. So this is the case in which FAUX flowers are better than NO flowers. Remember that little ditty. The multi strand bracelet is also from the $ store. I have some DIY plans for it that involve removing some strands and replacing with my own.



What are your thoughts? Am I crazy?

And stay tuned for the rest of this series! I will also be covering: home decor, tech gadgets and crafting. Have something else to add? Would love to hear it!

Comments

  1. This is really cool! I go to the dollar store for some things for kids crafts and holiday stuff, but I've never seen this kind of stuff there! Great buys! Especially for a dollar store. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, there is so much more there than just crafts and holiday things! I think the key is finding a big chain dollar store- they tend to have better stock! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. The dollar store has a lot of great stuff and some not so great stuff. Don't have shame in your game girl! I did a post on my top 10 dollar store deals and duds a while back.

    http://thebargainblonde.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-top-ten-dollar-store-deals-and-duds.html

    I actually posted about dollar store organization today too.

    http://thebargainblonde.blogspot.com/2012/04/five-minute-5-make-up-drawer.html

    Can't believe dollar store had a scarf like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great posts! SO funny- I saw a prego test when I was there and was wondering who would actually use those! Lol. Thanks for stopping by and LOVE your blog!

      Delete
    2. I have a friend that worked for a doctor couple years back and she told me that whenever they'd run out of pregnancy test strips, she'd go to the dollar store to get some and that is exactly what they would use..at the doctor's office!

      Delete
  3. Hey Jen!

    I share your enthusiasm for Dollarama finds! Have you seen the little photo storage cases? They're in the same place as the frames (I actually own the one you repurposed already . . .) They are awesome and have so many uses other than holding photos. Looking forward to the next installment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen lots of cute things in the frame section, but not sure which one you're talking about specifically. WIll have to keep an eye out next week on my weekly trip ;)

      Delete
  4. P.S. I'll be on the hunt for that bracelet so that I can take it apart and turn it into something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes- my plan exactly! Have yet to decide what sort of medium to use but am very excited to get crafty with it. PS- One month until I get my birthday Silhouette Cameo! I can't wait to try out all your projects :)

      Delete
  5. My latest love has been cabinet/shelf liner paper. I've seen it used so many ways (including the back spaces of bookcases for pops of color)and was shocked to find an adorable cream/black toile print and a pale green floral print--both totally adorable and current. The checker definetely looked at me funny when I walked up, arms full of 14 rolls! At a $1 each I wasn't going to start a new project and run out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! 14? That's amazing! I found some amazing distressed white and silver shelf liner I bought that's so high end looking. Absolutely love it!

      Delete
  6. This is such a fun idea! Now I know where I'm going this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog through my friend Michelle at our wonderfilled life. Love it! And of course, I love your love for the dollar store. As a closet dollar store shopper myself, I was outed when I did a whole series on what not to buy at the dollar store (and a few things to pick up). Now everyone I know in person who reads my blog things I'm an expert dollar store gal. I've even had requests for me to shop at the dollar store and buy things for them! Great finds. Sometimes I lack the vision after awhile. Love looking at the things on the shelves in a new light!

    Rachel
    your newest fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Rachel! A girl after my own dollor-store lovin heart <3!

      Delete
  8. You are terrific! I love what you do and you have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Will this replace quality statement pieces in my jewelry box? Heck no! But hopefully will help beef up my arm party a bit!" Wow, only a privileged white woman would worry about people judging her for not having precious metal on at all times. If it wasn't mined by slaves in a developing country, it's not worth it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry if that statement was misunderstood. Most of my jewelry is incredibly inexpensive costume jewelry - what I was trying to convey was that dollar store jewelry would supplement my other jewelry, not replace it. I have no qualms about sporting jewelry from Target, Walmart, or the dollar store, but I do like to have nice pieces (and by nice, I mean, Stella and Dot, not diamonds and platinum), to mix in with it. In regards to production, I'm guessing the cheap jewelry at the dollar store is made in China and probably produced in developing areas of that country in sub par conditions - but unfortunately that's probably the case for most things we buy.

      Delete
  10. There are millions of people who shop at the dollar store for food, clothing, and toiletries...its all they can afford. Where you shop, work, live, or play doesn't determine your class. Its your inner character and your's appears to be very shallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right - after re-reading this post that I wrote two years ago, I fully acknowledge that it sounds shallow and entitled. I wrote this from the only perspective I know - which is my own, and clearly with disregard for the many people who are struggling on a daily basis to make ends meet. Despite overlooking them in this post, I can assure you I am indeed not a shallow human being. I care very much for others, donate my time when I can, and do not judge people on their worldly possessions or status. I'm sorry that this post paints a picture of a very different person than who I am - and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

      Delete
    2. Such a kind response for someone who anonymously judged you online. It's par for the course with throwing yourself out there (not that their comment was cool), but you handled it respectfully. Kudos.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts