Tuesday, March 20, 2012

DIY Monogram iPhone Case


Everyone's seen those cute colourful monogrammed iPhone cases around the web, but who wants to pay fifty plus hard earned bucks for something that you'll probably either break or tire of after a few months? Not I! I knew there had to be a way to do this on a budget (and give myself some more options to boot!), so I decided to take a crack at it myself. This was a pretty easy project and only took me a few hours to come up with over 10 designs.


For those of you who know your way around any design program, the process is pretty simple: create a rounded rectangle to the dimensions of your iPhone 4, choose a patterned background, and add your shape and monogram in your choice of font. Print, cut and voila! Oh, okay not voila; at this point you only have a piece of paper. Rewind. Buy yourself a clear iPhone case on ebay. They are cheap... dirt cheap! Like $2 dirt cheap. Which means if you have ink in your printer and some good cardstock on hand, this project could cost you as little as $2. That means you have an extra $48 in your pocket to do whatever you like with. Woohoo! 



Now what if you don't know your way around a design program? Well, you can always create the old fashioned way! Literally, cut and paste. Choose a graphic cardstock or fabric, cut to size and use scrapbooking shapes and letters to make your design.









28 comments:

  1. Love the cases! Especially the black design with the pink monogrammed Letter. Great idea!
    Paula
    White Rock, BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the grey chevron with the pink letter.
    Shelly
    Surrey, BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these iPhone inserts, my favorite is the teal clover with the "W" monogram. Thanks for the giveaway!

    Adriana
    Sunny California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! Hard to choose, but I think I like the gray chevron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, sorry! Carly from Indianapolis, IN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of all of them, but my favorite as well is the "W" monogram

    Crystal
    Winnipeg, MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of them!!!

    Sarah from Grand Rapids, MI

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to win one! Cute background patterns too! I'm a fan of your page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! You are so talented :-) love annie Collins

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen!!! So glad to see you're still pursuing your passion for all things pretty ;)
    I would of course LOVE to have a one of a kind, Paper Society design to adorn my iPhone with.

    Love always, ABP :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh they all look soo cool and lovely colors and prints.....to win one would be FAB....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful... so much prettier than anything I've seen available in stores. Lucky girl (or guy) that wins one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are too cute! Much better than ones that are $50! Would love to win and love all your organization tips and especially your labels!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm Becky from Wisconsin and I looooove the chevron design!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I love this idea! It's so much better than my plain black one :-)
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - they are beautiful! What a fabulous idea. I was considering one of the printed ones like this, but I love that you can keep changing these. My favourite is the pink chevron pattern. I'm from Perth, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are precious, great work. I like the teal clover design with the rounded square monogram (W). My name is Ashley Hill and my email address is ashleyrosehill at gmail dot com. I'm from Winston-Salem, NC. thanks for having a giveaway. I hope I win!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am totally loving the white and white design with pink! It's was our wedding theme! I wish I was creative enough to make things like these!! And it's such a great idea! I'm always bored with my phone case! I'm Katie Reynolds from Aurora IL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it :) especially the teal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just discovered your blog today - Love it! I also love the look of these cases but have refused to pay $50. My favorite is the tangerine design with the blue S.
    Megan S from Hillsborough, NB

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your Blog! My favorite is the blue/white design with the pink block with white lettering!
    -Carrie T. from Sykesville, MD

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your blog! I'm a new reader, but have already found several ideas I want to try! Especially this one. I too refuse to pay $50 for a iphone cover. I love the grey chevron look! -Amanda F from Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found your blog today! I love it! I really like the gray chevron design!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the white polka dots on the green background donelle aldergrove bc

    ReplyDelete
  25. The black one is my fav!! Love your blog too!
    Nancy from Kitchener, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just found your blog! I Love it :-) and I just ordered a clear case from Ebay. I'm going to try and make a super cute cover...XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)